Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Relief Piece!

This piece was a very long, difficult process that i was glad to be apart of every step of the way. I started off trying to come up with ideas to make a relief piece, and as my teacher was explaining examples of artwork other students have done in the past she came across a project she found on pinterest as well as one she tried herself; multiple square tiles that fit together to create one picture. This got me thinking about designs and other ideas that i enjoyed as well as wanted to try. I started off with making 9 square 4x4 tiles and making sure they all fit together correctly. After this i sat down staring at the clay figuring out how to make relief out of these tiles. I thought of a certain design I have always had interest in and that was mandalas. I researched many differet complex designs and took bits and pieces from each one to create my own mandala design. After completing my madala design in my sketch book, i lightly drew my design on to my 9 clay tiles and made it the correct size. I chose which parts of the mandala would stick out or be carved out. After this i had so much relief and spaces that i thought about adding another material into my piece. I thought about something that was given to me as a present that i absolutely love. This was a glass skull in the picture above. So i decided to add glass to my piece and melt it in the kiln when my piece would be fired. The rest of the open space i painted using glaze, some of which also had broken pieces of glass mixed into the paint to create a different design compared to just a solid color. Overall i believe my piece turned out quite well! However, if i were to work with clay tiles again, i would be 100% sure that my tiles lined up perfectly to make sure the piece fit together. I also would choose my glaze colors a little more carefully, to make sure all of my colors work well together. This project was a very fun learning experience, even if the process did take an extensive amount of time. I love the way it turned out no matter how it looks because i put hard work into this and that is all that matters!

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Final Exam Blog!

Oil pastels on canvas
Oil pastels on canvas
I create original art: 
I came up with the idea of creating these pieces when i was sitting in my room on a saturday night all alone. I was sad so i wanted to express it through art! The only materials i had were oil pastels and canvas. So i started smudging colors together to create a beautiful colorful background, then added small trees to the bottom of the canvas. Followed by this piece, i purchased a much larger canvas and did the same thing with brighter colors in class. However, on the larger canvas i wanted to create a one point perspective with the trees on the outside edges making it seem as if you were looking up at the sky. Originally i was trying to make the sky look like the northern lights, but it turned out more unrealistic and colorful than any normal sky. I like to think of it as my visual of life or earth, as so much more beautiful than it portrays itself to be! 

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Text Art Project

Digging Deeper~~


Final Project~
I want to spell out a word with string and nails. Like this but smaller: